Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Travelling on the tundra north of Inuvik where the Inuvik-Tuk is supposed to be

Took a 134 km loop trip through the tundra the other day. I went out to Jimmy Lake, where the Reindeer herd winters, then headed west along part of the route that they use to move the herd over to Richards Island. Ostensibly I was looking for signs of the coming road – none at all, lol.

Conditions were really good for travel to I headed on onto open tundra and headed generally towards the Delta. Big open spaces so I did need to look at the GPS on occasion, at one point I was following a drainage that was leading north instead of west. Eventually I saw a low range of hills that I recognized as north of the Ikhil Gas plant and shortly thereafter saw the flare stack on the plant. I headed over to the plant then picked up the trail leading down Baker Creek and the ice road. Clear windless day, not many of those this year.

Stopped at Reindeer Station on the way back to Inuvik; they spruced up the place a bit for the 80th anniversary.



No comments:

Post a Comment