Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sunday trip out past Storm Hills

I debated heading south to do some climbing on Sunday by Campbell Lake but the lure of heading north got the better of me and I took my AT gear in anticipation of getting some turns. I was looking for some steeper lines which were all very wind packed and variable, so AT was the ticket over 3 pin. It was now wear near as cold as Saturday and I had to remove layers and ended up skiing mostly in light layers and fleece glove, only putting my jacket on when I was standing around at the top. Made a few runs which were Ok but not stellar skiing. Instead, I opted to head up the ice road a ways and see what there is to see. I passed the Japanese walker twice and he seemed to be surviving, it was only -15 so even he was shedding clothes.

Out by Storm Hills there was a strong cross wind that was moving a lot of snow onto the road, just past there everything clamed right down again. The Hills are aptly named.
I stopped and headed up a steep slope by a marine channel marker to check pout the skiing potential – which actually looked pretty good, hard packed consistent snow on the river side and softer drifts on the south side. The only caveat is being careful not to lose an edge on the first turns as that would take one into the exposed gravel. Interesting that the further north you go in the Delta the less snow there is; typical of the Arctic tundra really. Lots of interesting rocks here, makes one wonder about how much prospecting has been done here.

Went a bit further, past the entrance to the Reindeer channel on the Delta, near the small island pic, and turned around by yet another channel marker, just near where the Pingos start appearing on the landscape. According to the gps I apparently drove right by one

No comments:

Post a Comment